If you have a question regarding your website, web presence, or a marketing question in general, then this is the place to look. DPro's Client Resource Guide is a place where we offer tips to our clients based on the most frequently asked questions. To suggest a topic, please use our contact form. Check back often as new topics are added weekly!
CMS (Content Management) Troubleshooting
• Are your updates not showing up? If your CMS updates are not showing up on your website, make sure that you are using the most current CMS access info. When DPro is developing a website, we store both the site and the CMS on a development server until we are ready to switch the site live. Therefore the access information changes when your website launches. However, if you were using the development CMS during the development period, this URL could be cached in your browser. Check the URL to make sure it is the live site's CMS and then clear your browser's history if necessary. A common CMS access URL for a live website will be www.yoursite/cms. If you are using the old CMS info, make sure to delete your browser's history so that the old CMS does not remain cached.
• Are you unable to log-in to your CMS even after verifying the correct username and password? If you are unable to log-in to your CMS even after verifying with DPro that it is the proper username and password, you are most likely firewalled. For security purposes, many sites, including DPro's CMS, will block an ip address if too many unsuccessful attempts have been made to log-in. In order to fix this problem, you will need to contact your network administrator or DPro Marketing.
•Are strange characters showing up on your website after making CMS updates? If you recently made updates to your site's text and now stranger characters are showing up, make sure that your text is stripped of all coding. If you copied and pasted text from Word or another Office program, it is likely that it will contain code that will not be read properly by the CMS. In order to ensure that all coding is stripped before going into the CMS, copy and paste your text into notepad or type directly into the CMS. This will make eliminate all coding in 90% of all cases. If a strange character remains after you have typed directly into the CMS, contact DPro to discuss possible causes and to find a resolution.
• Is the formatting of your website not aligned? If you make text or image updates to your site and notice that it causes your website to misalign, you are most likely trying to cram too much text into the space. Shorten your message or title to resolve the problem.
• Do you want to add a formatting feature to your CMS? You need to work within the boundaries of your CMS. A CMS, while convenient, is built a certain way in order to ensure that the formatting of your site remains consistent and to remain cost-efficient for you. While adding a few color choices or linking options is possible in specified areas of your site, it is not possible to do everything that you want without customizing the CMS and website. If you want more options for your CMS, contact DPro today to discuss customizing options.
Image Upload Troubleshooting
These are some common problems when an image won’t upload to DPro's CMS:
• Check file extension to make sure it’s a gif or a jpeg.
• Make sure there are no unusual characters in the file name or that there are extra “.”s
• Make sure the image is under 2 MB
• Make sure the image is max 800 pixels wide.
You can check the image size by going into any photo editor and usually it will be under “View” Image File size and you can then change it right there.
Still can't figure it out? Please don't hesitate to contact the staff at DPro Marketing!